Subject leader - Alison Taylor
Curriculum Intent Statement for English
We aim for pupils to:
- Develop the skills and confidence to express their needs, preferences and ideas using their preferred method of communication.
- Attend, listen and respond to others through participation in collaborative experiences and activities.
- Broaden their vocabulary, developing their understanding and use of an increased number of words, including vocabulary relating to subjects across the curriculum.
- Enjoy reading and being read to, recognising that books can provide opportunities for discovering fictional worlds or gaining new knowledge.
- Engage with a wide range of stimulating texts, across all genres.
- Understand the relationship between letters and sounds and apply their phonic knowledge to be able to decode and spell words.
- Develop their functional writing skills, learning to write for a variety of purposes, reflecting real-life scenarios.
- Have opportunities to write creatively; composing and recording to express their own interests, experiences and ideas in a way that is meaningful to them.